New to grits? Has it been awhile since you watched mom cook them? No need to fear. They can be quite simple! You’ll be utilizing them in a variety of dishes in now time! Below, find out how to simply cook plain grits, with some inspiration to transform them into a basic dish. From there you’ll have the experience to start building grits in to your meals (and we’d love to hear about them!)
- Boil 4 1/2 c. water
- Slowly stir in 1 1/2 c. grits and 1 t. salt (adding too quickly can cause clumping)
- Lower heat, stir, and simmer for 15-20 minutes until tender. May require frequent stirring at first. Be cautious of splattering.
- Season with salt, pepper, and butter to taste.
- While grits cook, prepare 1-2 eggs per servings. (I believe over medium are particularly delicious!)
- Add finished grits and eggs to a bowl. Top with cheese and diced tomatoes. (Greens, hot sauce, refried beans, and sour cream are nice too!)
Bring The Toppings-
While grits can be great on their own, they really help support and bring heartiness to many meals. Filling and fairly neutral in flavor, they pair well alongside many of cuisines. Try substituting them for potatoes or rice on your plate. Personally, I love flavors and spices from Mexican foods, so you’ll often find me pairing my grits with peppers, onions, cumin, and salsa.
Our grits are grown and processed by Sacred Sun Farm outside of Perry, KS. Though processed with different equipment, the grits are processed in a facility that also processes wheat flour.
-Robert, Topeka Growers Group